Thursday, May 15, 2008

My thoughts on an article about the trials of parenting a child with Mild Cerebral Palsy

http://www.childrensdisabilities.info/cerebral_palsy/mildcp.html#Milner
It is a nice article regarding both the trials and tribulations of children with mild CP. In the name of being completely honest, I have to admit thinking at the end of the article "If only I were that lucky to have such problems!" While my son is able to walk, (walk fast in an attempt to run)he can use a fork (prefers to use hands and can't close his mouth at all in the chewing process, but that might just be genetics) I consider myself and my son unbelieveably lucky. At least today I do, don't know what tomorrow brings. If anyone wants diagnoses, I can name a few...C.P., HIE, Epilepsy, Autism, Coordination Disorder, Visual ProcessingDisorder, Low tone, Phonetic Processing Disorder, Aphasia, Verbal and OralMotor Apraxia, Sensory Integration Disorder, hummm.... I am sure I can comeup with more if you give me a minute. Yet, today I consider myself fortunate because my son only had one temporal lobe seizure lasting less than 5 minutes of visual hallucinations according to his teacher. I am not angry with the mom that complains her child has difficulty brushing her long hair. I just think "then why the heck don't you cut it??" Then I think back to a conversation I had with a very dear friend of mine from HighSchool. The moral of the story sums it up. This friend was a "trust fund" kid and came from a fortune 400 family. At the age of 25, this guy was to inherit at least 25 million US dollars back in the early 90's when that was a HUGE amount of money before all the dot commers and Bill Gates Kadrilliondollar fortune. He complained at length about his slightly older brother(maybe 20 at the time) went out and purchased a car he had planned on buyingupon his 18th birthday when he was to come into a couple of million dollars. I still remember it, a Lotus Esprit Turbo. I was completely unable to relate to such "problems". While I was fortunate enough to never want for anything, the word trust and fund were never used in congunction with each other in my house either was the word inheritance except when referring to the hand me down clothes that are apart of all normal families. At the time, my dear friend said in his defense "Just because you can't relate specifically to my problems doesn't mean they don't affect me. Betrayal and hurt by any othername is still betrayal and hurt. We all have our own set of problems regardless of financial independence..etc etc etc." So, on that note, I am sorry this particular author feels such angst and worry. I too feel those feelings. Yet in an obscure way,this particular article makes me take note of what I do have...My son walks, he can eat, he is not reliant on a respirator, feeding tube, wheelchair etc. I don't worry about "if he will have difficulties in the future." I know he will. I just try to live my day today making sure I give him the love and affection and support he needs to make him able to develop enough self esteem and confidence that these trials he WILL endure won't overwhelm him. Hey, that is my feeling today, can't sayI will be so optimistic tomorrow. Let's see how many halluninatory seizures he has, how many complete outbursts he has, how many poopy diapers I have tochange etc.. I am only human too, as we all are.

No comments: