Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Buddy Bike

I am sitting here in wonderment about an accomplishment my family did together. We rode and rode and rode a bike, all of us just this past Saturday. When I say rode, I mean 20 miles rode. I am not an avid biker, in fact one really couldn't call me even a social, intermittent, periodic or sporadic bike rider either. I don't think that I have ridden collectively 20 miles on a bicycle in my entire adult life, much less on one occasion.

I received notice about an organized bike ride for the special needs population organized by a company that distributes these adaptive tandem like bikes that puts the child on a seat in front of the adult. There are 2 seats, 2 handle bars, two sets of pedals etc. I had seen this Buddy Bike in advertisements for the last year, maybe 2. My son has severe balance problems, severe impulsivity issues, short term memory problesms as we all know if you have read my other posts.

Anyway, being as vertically challenged as I am (5' 1/2" tall~ if you are as short as I am, you would cling onto that 1/2 inch too so stop laughing.) and the fact that my son has such limitations I was very concerned about the size of the bike. Would I be able to reach the ground with my feet while still on the seat at a stop without tipping the bike, my son and I over at the same time? Since the last bike I purchased was probably from Walmart and I am sure cost less than $75.00, I was very hesitant to invest that much money into something without trying it out first. The Buddy Bike does have a steep price tag if it is something you will only use a handful of times.

I was able to ride the bike with my son for about 5 miles before I called in for the troops to help me (aka husband to switch and take my son on his bike) It was pushing 90 degrees and I am certain 100% humidity and what seemed like an uphill treck the whole way. Probably wasn't, I do like to exaggerate to make a point.

Anyway, this bike is a remarkable invention. I am sure you are wondering if I opened my wallet and shelled out the 1200.00 plus US dollars to take my very own home with me. I did not last Saturday. This is NOT to say that I won't at some point. I probably will. But my situation is that I have my son that is 7 with disabilities and a son that is 6 that is typically developing. In all actuality, at this point of our lives, my husband and I are NOT avid bike riders and would maybe go out once a month for a bike ride as a family. We live in the urban sprawl of a mid size city so for safety purposes we would have to go to a designated trail which there are several around. But that means loading the bikes and kids into a car and driving to one of the entrances of the trail. I am not going to do that during the week that is already full of therapies, doctors visits, tutors etc. There isn't the time. Plus, where we live, I would not feel safe riding the bike even around my neighborhood and concentrating on my 6 year old at the same time.

I think that when my 6 year old gets a bit older and bicycle and road safe savvy, my child with disabilities may have learned how to tolerate the motion of peddling the bike, then I will be purchasing this bike for our family. If it were only a question of riding myself with my son with disabilities I would definitley purchase.

There is a new business that actually rents the Buddy Bike out within a 35 minute car ride. They rent out all kinds of adaptive bikes, recumbants, hand bikes etc. I can't wait till next time we get a free afternoon on a weekend to head down there are do a much shortened bike ride.

No comments: